Thursday, April 30, 2009

What The Voices Think

One of the most overlooked (believe me, I know) positions at the racetrack is my own, track announcer. Well, we take care of that here with the selections of some of the top track announcers in North America (and certainly some good friends of mine) for the 135th running of the Kentucky Derby on Saturday:

Jason Beem (Portland Meadows)- Dunkirk
Craig Braddick (Arapahoe Park)- Dunkirk
Larry Collmus (Gulfstream, Monmouth)- Desert Party
John G. Dooley (Fair Grounds, Arlington)- Friesan Fire
Tom Harris (Retama)- Pioneerof The Nile
Dan Loiselle (Woodbine)- Desert Party
Frank Miramahdi (Turf Paradise)- Pioneerof The Nile
Vic Stauffer (Hollywood Park)- Chocolate Candy
James Witherite-Rieg (Chester Harness)- Dunkirk

So, the vocal majority goes with Dunkirk (3 votes), it's a dead heat for second between Desert Party and Pioneerof The Nile (2 votes), with Chocolate Candy and Friesan Fire getting one vote each. Thanks to each of my compatriots that responded to the big Derby question.

I will take Rachel Alexandra in the Kentucky Oaks on Friday, by the way. She is the best three-year-old in the country in my opinion. As far as MY Derby pick, well, you just have to check back with They Are Off again on Friday. For right now, I am Gone... GOODBYE!

No comments: