Friday, April 17, 2009

The Lexington Stakes

Saturday is the last chance for any contenders for the Kentucky Derby that are not in to get in to the top twenty on the graded stakes earnings list. The Grade 2 $300,000 Lexington Stakes was won in 1999 by Charismatic, who went on to win both the Derby and the Preakness, so it is certainly possible to win this close to the First Saturday in May and still be a factor come that day. I think there will be speed duel in this race between #3 Pitched Perfectly and #12 Hull. That scenario could set things up for a horse to come from slightly off the pace, which suits the longshot I really like in the race, #10 Parade Clown, who is 15-1 on the morning line. Julien Leparoux will be aboard, blinkers will be coming off, and he ran 4th in the Grade 2 Lane's End at Turfway Park on March 21. #6 Masala is my second choice in here. As opposed to the top pick, he adds blinkers here. He also ran 4th in his last graded effort, the Grade 3 Gotham at Aqueduct. The Sire is 2004 Derby runner-up, Lion Heart, who was a front-runner, but this horse has not shown any craving for the front so far. Finally, I will include the morning line favorite, #8 Square Eddie, who is returning from an injury and a layoff caused by that injury. He already has enough graded earnings to make the Derby. I think this race is just a tightener for two weeks from now and the 9-5 price is just too short for my liking. If he wins, he'll do it without my money.

Tune in again on Monday for the updated Super Six Derby Pix. For right now, I am Gone... GOODBYE!

No comments: