Friday, April 01, 2011

The Grade 1 $1,000,000 Florida Derby

Sunday will be one of the more presitigious Derby preps of this 2011 season when the Florida Derby is run at Gulfstream Park. It is a very deep field of eight going to the post. It is quite possible that the winner of the Kentucky Derby in five weeks will be participating in this race on Sunday. Here is the analysis:

I have said on this blog that I think Soldat is going to win the Kentucky Derby at this point. I reserve the right, of course, to change that opinion. However, I will pick against him in the Florida Derby by selecting #2 To Honor And Serve as the winner. I think that the Grade 2 Fountain Of Youth was just a bit much for a 2011 debut for this Mott trainee and I happen to thik that he will be ready to roll on Sunday. There is a bullet workout on May 27 at Payson Park. I just think he wasn't ready on February 26 and I think he will be ready on Sunday. I will put #1 Soldat in the second spot. He might be able to rate a bit more than he did in the Fountain Of Youth when he just went and kept right on going until he reached the Winner's Circle. Alan Garcia has been money with him so far and the colt is 2 for 2 over the track at Gulfstream Park in 2011. #7 Dialed In will be the third selection in here. He has two wins and a second with Julien Leparoux aboard and I really think the second was merely a tightener. Trainer Nick Zito nearly won that elusive third Kentucky Derby last year with Ice Box. This closer could get him that victory in five weeks. Finally, I will put #8 Flashpoint in the fourth position. I think it is utter folly to run him in here. I certainly don't think his speed will hold up for any type of excessive distance. Hopefully, his connections will be cured of their Derby Fever after Sunday and get this horse ready to sprint this season, where he belongs. Here is the play for the Grade 1 $1,000,000 Florida Derby:

$2 EX BOX 1-2-7
$2 TRI BOX 1-2-7
TOTAL- $24


The blog is currently MINUS $174 for 2011. However, we will keep plugging away. Remember, They Are Off accepts no responsibility for any wagers placed in conjunction with these selections. They are merely suggestions. Tune in again next week for more from They Are Off. For right now, I am Gone... GOODBYE!

No comments: