Friday, January 14, 2011

The Grade 2 $150,000 San Fernando Stakes

Unfortunately, the big horse in this year's edition of the Grade 2 San Fernando, Sidney's Candy, has been scratched and will not run. Fortunately, that might make the race a little bit more competitive and bettor friendly since Sidney's Candy would have been an overwhelming favorite in here and likely would have run like it. So, with Sidney's Candy out, where do we go? Here is the analysis:

I will go with the apparent speed horse in this field, the Bob Baffert-trained #1 Tweebster. This horse is currently working a three-race winning streak and while none of those wins have come against anything like he will be facing here, I think he just might steal the whole thing on the front end. The offspring of the current prime Sire, Tapit, might have to contend with the other Baffert trainee in here, but I think that he could be the best one in this field on Saturday. For second, I will select #2 Paris Vegas, who might come running late to inject a price into the proceedings at 15-1 on the morning line here. His race in the Grade 1 Malibu was a disaster, as he finished way behind the track record pace of Twirling Candy that day. However, he stretches back out in distance here and gets Brice Blanc in the saddle. For third, I will AGAIN return to the well and select #6 Thiskyhasnolimit. I was on his side in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile and was rebuked. I had him in the mix in the aforementioned Malibu and again denied. I will include him here and make myself feel like that guy that keeps waiting for the girl to out with him (Maybe it's today, Maybe it's today). Thiskyhasnolimit has broken my heart before and I half-expect him to do it again here. Finally, I will go with #5 Do It All, who gets Pat Valenzuela in the saddle on Saturday. The Eoin Harty runner has not actually crossed the finish line first yet in his career, but a win off of a DQ is still a win. The last work on the Cushion track at Hollywood is enough to pique my interest. Here is the play for the Grade 2 San Fernando Stakes:

$5 WP #1
$1 EX BOX 1-2-5-6-7
$1 TRI 1 with 2-5-6-7 with 2-5-6-7
TOTAL- $38

Last week's Bet Three at Gulfstream was a total failure, so the loss of $24 there reduces our 2011 profit to $7.40. Remember, They Are Off accepts no responsibility for any wagers placed in conjunction with these selections. They are merely suggestions. Tune in again next week for more from They Are Off. For right now, I am Gone... GOODBYE!

No comments: