Friday, December 10, 2010

The Grade 1 $300,000 Hollywood Starlet

Hollywood Park during the next two weeks will have races for the younger set, this Saturday is the Hollywood Starlet and next Saturday is the CashCall Futurity. The Grade 1 Hollywood Starlet presents what promises to be an interesting field of eight. The two favorites will be coming from different routes to getting to this point. Turbulent Descent is 2-1 on the morning line after two career starts, both wins, but both at sprinting distances. Tell A Kelly is 5-2 and was the hot horse in California late in the summer after her explosive victory in Grade 1 Darley Debutante. Subsequently, she failed to menace in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies, where she ran seventh. Here is the analysis of the Grade 1 Hollywood Starlet:

My top selection in the race will be #3 May Day Rose. The Bob Baffert trainee is 2 for 3 in her career and unlike so many of her counterparts in this field, she has a win at the distance. She accomplished that in the ungraded Sharp Cat over this Hollywood oval. Her last two workouts have been bullets. The only fault I can find with her is that she might end up in a speed duel with the horse directly to her inside. She almost arrived in that spot for me by default since the longest race most of the other contenders in here I can find is seven furlongs. In fact, that was the distance of the last race for #5 Turbulent Descent. She is unbeaten in two tries and worked a quick five furlongs six days ago. I think she will be a deserving favorite. I just have an issue selecting a horse at short odds to do something she has never done before. 1992 BC Classic winner, A.P. Indy, is present on the Sire side. Therefore, one would think the distance would not be a tremendous issue. I just want to see her do it before I commit my cash. This race might set up for a big race from #7 Zazu, who ran 2nd to Turbulent Descent in the Moccasin last time out. She might be able to sit off the pace and strike if that pace duel I referenced earlier falls apart. Of course, she lost ground to Turbulent Descent in that Moccasin race and ended up a length and a half behind her. For fourth, I will restore my faith in #8 Tell A Kelly. I was all over her in the Darley Debutante at nearly 5-1. Her loss to Rigoletta in the Oak Leaf was more the fault of the jockey than anything else. I tend to throw out the Breeders' Cup race due to a wide trip and a wild jockey (Calvin Borel in the aftermath of the fight). She has a recent bullet workout and gets Joel Rosario to take the mount. I think she might be poised for a nice effort. One thing Tell A Kelly shares with Zazu is the same Sire, Tapit, who has impressed thus far in his post-racing career. Here is the play for the Grade 1 Hollywood Starlet:

$10 WP #3
$1 TRI 3-5 with 3-5 with 2-7-8
TOTAL $26

As always, They Are Off accepts no responsibility for any wagers placed in conjunction with these selections. They are merely suggestions. Tune in next week for more from They Are Off. For right now, I am Gone... GOODBYE!

No comments: