Friday, July 10, 2009

The 70th Hollywood Gold Cup

I am going to say that I think we have a key race as far as the Grade 1 $700,000 Hollywood Gold Cup is concerned. That would be the Grade 2 Californian, which was run at Hollywood on June 13. All four horses I am about to recommend ran in that race. My top pick in the Gold Cup is #8 Rail Trip. I think it is entirely possible that he is going to get the lead right away and never give it up. He has never finished worse than 2nd in any of his seven lifetime starts and I expect him to have a very soft pace up top on Saturday. The horse that actually won the Californian is my second choice here, #12 Informed. The Sire is former two-time Breeders' Cup Classic winner, Tiznow, and the six furlong work on July 5 is certainly nothing to sneeze at. #6 Dakota Phone posted Beyers of 100 or better in the last two starts, both Grade 2 races and both resulted in third-place finishes. This gelding has hit the board in all five previous starts at Hollywood Park. Finally, I will include #7 Song Of Navarone to wrap up the top four. He won three in a row earlier this year at Sunland Park and ran 3rd in the Grade 3 Lone Star Park Handicap two starts back. So, here is the play on the Hollywood Gold Cup:

$1 EX BOX 6-7-8-12
$1 TRI 8 with 6-7-12

TOTAL- $18

Please remember that They Are Off accepts no responsibility for any wagers made in conjunction with these suggestions. I wish the best of luck to you all and enjoy what promises to be a fabulous Saturday of racing across the country. For right now, I am Gone... GOODBYE!

No comments: