Thursday, May 01, 2008

The 134th Kentucky Derby

First off, I need to apologize to anyone who has been waiting for updates on this page, but I have been in Arizona calling the races at Turf Paradise for the last three weeks and have not had a chance to update the site. Now, on to the business at hand, the Run For The Roses. For me, there are two horses that stand head and shoulders above the rest after handicapping the race. Those two are Court Vision and Gayego. It should be easy enough to just bet an exacta with those two and be done with it, but we have to pick a winner, don't we? I will go with Court Vision for several reasons. First, Court Vision has post #4 and Gayego has post #19. No horse has ever won the Derby from post #19. Second, Court Vision is adding blinkers and I always like to see an equipment change that can help the horse's performance like that. Finally, Court Vision is trained by Bill Mott and he seems overdue to win the Derby, doesn't he? For third, I will put Cowboy Cal. I think he is the most versatile horse in the race, having shown an appreciation for turf, dirt, and synthetic so far. I think he can race on green cheese and make a go of it. To round out the Superfecta, I will go with Cool Coal Man. He threw in a clunker last out, but he held on gamely to win the Fountain Of Youth in a performance that seems to be forgotten already. Where you may ask are the favorites? Well, Big Brown is out in the parking lot and Colonel John might be a one-trick pony (pardon the pun) having only raced on synthetic. Pyro is the only one I can even think of using, but his two races in Louisiana came after massive trouble during both trips and the Blue Grass was a total disaster. So, put Pyro underneath and this way, you might have a reasonable favorite in your box wagers. Here's wishing the best of luck to you all.

134th Kentucky Derby Picks- Court Vision, Gayego, Cowboy Cal, Cool Coal Man, Pyro

No comments: