Friday, December 18, 2009

The Grade 1 $750,000 CashCall Futurity

I honestly believe that this eight-horse field will provide us with what amounts to a two-horse race on Saturday. There might be one of the others that might be close to Lookin At Lucky and Noble's Promise near the end, but nothing really stands out other than that pair. So, without any further ado:

I will have to go with #1 Lookin At Lucky as the top pick in the CashCall. His four wins came with impressive credentials and the lone second on his five-race resume' was just by a head to Vale Of York in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. How much did that race take out of him? We'll see on Saturday, but I don' think it was enough to affect his chances here. For second, I like #6 Noble's Promise, who ran third in that Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Santa Anita. He had won his previous three, two over synthetic and one on turf. His last work is good, but I do question whether he has the stamina to stay with the top pick all the way to the wire. I will put another Baffert trainee in third with #4 Marcello. He ran 3rd in the Grade 1 Generous earlier this meet at Hollywood Park and his lineage is tremendous with 2001 BC Juvenile winner, Johannesburg, the Sire and 1978 Triple Crown winner, Affirmed, on the Dam side. He also sports a fine last workout. Finally, I will round out the top four with #2 Brady Blue Eyes. He scored a maiden-breaking win at this distance last time out on November 22. He has one win and two seconds in three tries with Joe Talamo in the saddle. He is the longest shot on the board at 30-1 on the morning-line, so you have to throw him in. Here is the play for the Grade 1 CashCall Futurity:

$20 EX BOX #1+ #6
TOTAL- $40

I really think this might be the only way to turn even a slight profit. You might consider a Trifecta Key with the top two over ALL also, but even that might be a non-profitable move.

Remember, They Are Off accepts no responsibility for any wagers placed in conjunction with these selections. They are merely suggestions. Tune in Monday for more from They Are Off. For right now, I am Gone... GOODBYE!

2 comments:

Brian Appleton said...

Nice blog you have here, I just found it. I started my own blog on horse racing about 2 1/2 months ago (http://railrunner.wordpress.com/)and I've been trying to search out other racing blogs to connect with.
I loved the way Lookin at Lucky wont the Cashcall Futurity, deffinetly something left in that tank! Bob Baffert said that he's thinking of shipping him to NY or Gulfstream for his final two races before the Kentucky Derby.

Michael Chamberlain said...

Thanks for the compliment, Brian. Agreed with Lookin At Lucky race yesterday, he certainly didn't seem to have to exert himself too much. I like that plan of Baffert's to get out of California and go run on dirt before the Derby.